Latin name– Curcuma longa
English name- Turmeric
Sanskrit name– Haridra
- Phytochemicals found in turmeric have been investigated in preliminary research for their potential effects in diseases, such as cancer, arthritis, diabetes .
- Turmeric may help relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis because of its ability to reduce pain and disability.
- Turmeric extract acts as an antispasmodic to smooth muscles so it reduces digestive and menstrual cramping. It reduces the severity of pain and used in monthly menstrual cramps.
- Turmeric have similar liver protecting properties that milk thistle and artichoke leaves contain so it is prescribed to treat liver conditions such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, and jaundice.
- Turmeric is useful as an external antibiotic in preventing bacterial infection in wounds.
Turmeric extract is helpful in preventing the blockage of arteries by reducing cholesterol levels and may also prevent platelet build up along the walls of an injured blood vessel.